Creating a Twitter Clone in Rails – Part 1

In this series, I attempt to recreate a twitter style application called ‘Flitter’. In this installment, I show you how to create an authenticated system easily using existing tools. I also show how to generate test data to simulate an active application. Finally, you will learn how to set up self-referencial associations.
Download 280 MB
Download (iphone & ipod) 86 MB

Anonymous July 20, 2010 at 5:50 am

Thanks a lot! I am a RoR newbie; spent a few hours today going through this screencast and following every step carefully. Got to learn quite a bit of new stuff, and reinforce the basics I had learnt earlier. Thanks a lot again for enabling me too have a sense of pride at the end of the day; the instructions in the screencast was quite easy to follow, and detailed enough for me to appreciate everything!

And I particularly enjoyed the conversational flow of the screencast; the few times you were lost figuring out the best way to do something added to the learning experience, making it very informal. Looking forward to taking on Part 2 tomorrow.

Prakash July 20, 2010 at 5:50 am

Jay September 8, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Very cool and informative.

Jay September 8, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Very cool and informative.

Anonymous September 12, 2010 at 12:13 am

I like

Anonymous September 12, 2010 at 12:13 am

I like

Farooq September 29, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Thanks for this amazing tutorial Charles! I’m having one problem, when I post a flit, my flits show up with this in front:

“!map:HashWithIndifferentAccess”

Anyone know why?

Charles Max Wood December 24, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Thanks, Farooq!

However, I didn’t make this one. Eric Berry did. (I’m going to be working out how to show the video creator.)

I’ll have to pull the code and look at it. At first blush, it would appear that you’re displaying the object instead of its members/values.

Farooq September 29, 2010 at 8:55 pm

“!map:HashWithIndifferentAccess”

Anyone know why?

Charles Max Wood December 24, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Thanks, Farooq!

Felipe Bueno November 14, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Wow, man! Thanks a lot for that!

Felipe Bueno November 14, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Wow, man! Thanks a lot for that!

DAVIDI January 23, 2011 at 3:39 am

Bless your heart, You are AWSOME!!! This tutorial rocks!
I wish someone would do something similar with Ruby.

Charles Max Wood January 24, 2011 at 4:13 pm

What do you mean “I wish someone would do something similar with Ruby.” This is Ruby. Well, it’s Ruby on Rails.

Just curious.

And yes, Eric did an awesome job on this one.

DAVIDI January 23, 2011 at 3:39 am

Bless your heart, You are AWSOME!!! This tutorial rocks!
I wish someone would do something similar with Ruby.

Charles Max Wood January 24, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Just curious.

And yes, Eric did an awesome job on this one.

Sriharsha Sm April 18, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I am not able to view the video… Please help!

Charles Max Wood April 18, 2012 at 4:59 pm

What web browser are you using to watch the video?