Rails 3.0.3 Setup – Delicious Clone

Here is what I’ve done to create this application:

1. Use the ‘rails new’ command to create a rails application
  2. Set up the Gemfile
  3. Configure the Database
  4. Install Cucumber
  5. Install Rspec
  6. Install Devise
  7. Install CanCan
  8. Install jQuery
  9. Configure Devise

Download (HD) 84.2 MB
Download (iPod & iPhone) 47.4 MB

Jakob Buis January 16, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Will you continue this as a series to build a full Rails-application, or is this just an one-time setup-rails-tutorial?

Charles Max Wood January 17, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I’m planning on building on this to create a full application. And now that I’ve reclaimed Thursdays (see this podcast episode for details http://teachmetocode.com/podcast/tmtc-44-finding-balance/ ), it should progress rather nicely.

Jakob Buis January 16, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Charles Max Wood January 17, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Anonymous January 16, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Is there a reason for specifically including cucumber and rspec (they’re included already by rspec-rails and cucumber-rails)? Just curious.

Nice video. It’s always nice to see how other people work!

Anonymous January 17, 2011 at 1:04 am

I was wondering about that too. He could have used http://railswizard.org/ to speed up the setup process.

But I like it, I want to see the other parts.

Thank you Charles.

Charles Max Wood January 17, 2011 at 2:24 pm

For me, it’s sort of a clarity thing. In Rails 2.3, I usually included both rspec and rspec-rails. Something in my brain likes knowing that they’re being explicitly included. But, you’re right, the bundler would see the dependencies and require them anyway.

Anonymous January 27, 2011 at 3:49 am

I really don’t like to assume the dependencies of a Ruby gem. Thus, I like to include both the gem and it’s associated version. There has been too many times where one gem brings in a broken gem and one needs to use an earlier version of the defected gem. This is very important when deploying code to your production servers.

Austin Schneider January 16, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Nice video. It’s always nice to see how other people work!

Anonymous January 17, 2011 at 1:04 am

But I like it, I want to see the other parts.

Thank you Charles.

Charles Max Wood January 17, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Anonymous January 27, 2011 at 3:49 am

Anton January 17, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Nice, I am developing Rails 2.x apps and can follow you along on Rails 3 😉
Looking forward for the coming episodes

Anton January 17, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Nice, I am developing Rails 2.x apps and can follow you along on Rails 3 😉
Looking forward for the coming episodes

Jim Bob January 18, 2011 at 8:21 am

Good content, but you could easily reduce the duration by 2/3. Do another take without the typos and delays. Seriously.

Jim Bob January 18, 2011 at 8:21 am

Chris Lerum January 20, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Gotta love Muppets, too perfect at the end. I really prefer _not_ to have a line in Gemfile just for something that I can expect to be included by another gem. So, I’d remove gem lines for rspec, cucumber and factory_girl, and rather than call it a matter of preference, I’d say it’s a violation of DRY and shouldn’t be encouraged. There’s potential here, but one thing that must change – you first record your activity, then voiceover the whole thing later – this leads to many awkward moments, lags, hurried explanations, the feeling the something’s been missed etc. How’re you going to have a ‘whoops’ moment ever, if you’re not recording everything as you do it?

good luck with this, awaiting the rest…

Charles Max Wood January 20, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Chris. I keep going back and forth on whether to record as I code. I think I’m probably going to go back to that. If I ever get around to some videos that I’m actually offering for sale, I’ll probably clean it up and record the stuff after the fact.

Chris Lerum January 20, 2011 at 6:48 pm

good luck with this, awaiting the rest…

Charles Max Wood January 20, 2011 at 8:42 pm

P Schmitz January 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm

looking forward to your next post

Charles Max Wood January 21, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I’m putting it up right now.

P Schmitz January 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm

looking forward to your next post

Charles Max Wood January 21, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I’m putting it up right now.

dumbledore February 1, 2011 at 5:39 am

would it be possible to post write ups along with your videos. I really dislike screencasts

Charles Max Wood February 1, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I’ve wondered about doing this versus concerns over duplicating content. I’ll give it a try and see what comes of it. I’ll probably place the write ups over in Articles.

dumbledore February 1, 2011 at 5:39 am

Charles Max Wood February 1, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Fred Boldireff February 9, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I have your voice full right in my headset which is kind of nagging (may be it’s talking to the wrong half of my brain?). Did you do it intentionally?
Other than that, all the rest is excellent (content, pace, etc…). Many thanks!
ps: I had to edit config/application.rb and modify config.action_view.javascript_expansions[:defaults] otherwise an error would raise…

Charles Max Wood February 9, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Sorry for the audio issues. I’ve solved the problem in my recording setup.

Thanks for the tip on the javascript setting. I’ll have to check up on that to make sure that I’m not having that problem.

Fred Boldireff February 9, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Other than that, all the rest is excellent (content, pace, etc…). Many thanks!

Charles Max Wood February 9, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Sorry for the audio issues. I’ve solved the problem in my recording setup.

GadyS March 13, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Great screencast
what would you add if you deployed on heroku ?

GadyS March 13, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Great screencast
what would you add if you deployed on heroku ?